While at NADA, I heard quite a bit of buzz about mobile websites. Does my dealership need one? If I already have one, do I need to actually optimize it? Is mobile traffic really growing as rapidly as everyone says it is? Should I be making my car dealership’s mobile website a priority to sell more cars?
The answer to all four of those questions is absolutely, unequivocally–YES.
- The number of mobile searches has grown 400% in the last year
- 1 in 3 mobile searches is related to local search
- 79% of smartphone owners use their phones to help with shopping (compare prices, find product info, locate a retailer, etc)
- 28% of those that see a mobile ad take action
- 59% of users visit an online store after looking it up online
In short, mobile traffic is growing extremely quickly, and is expected to be the predominant mode of searching online for local content by 2013. If your dealership is neglecting your mobile websites, you’ll be behind the curve as time goes on.
Your car dealership mobile website optimization efforts should focus on two things: earning top rankings in the mobile SERPs and making the site’s layout mobile friendly.
You can use this tool to test how your mobile site looks on an iPhone, or use Google’s GoMo to preview your mobile site and find resources to help if your site isn’t as quality as you’d like it to be. Make sure you talk to your mobile website provider to ensure they are optimizing your mobile site and helping your dealership achieve your mobile optimization goals.